HIV/AIDS Intervention among Street Children and Female Sex Workers
KARUNALAYA in association with the Tamil Nadu State Aids Control Society (TANSACS) works to achieve a State where no new individual would acquire the HIV infection, and every person living with HIV/AIDS has access to quality care and lives with dignity.
- Intervention among Street Children
Karunalaya implemented a pioneering project among Street Children from the year 2002 to 2007 with the support of Chennai Corporation Aids Prevention and Control Society (CAPACS) and found more than 10% of street children in Chennai were infected with Sexually Transmitted infection. Efforts were made to intervene and provide medical aid at theGovernmentHospitaland were successfully treated. Behavior change communication, health seeking behavior and support systems were created so that street children will not be hesitant to take appropriate treatment. Education on protection from abuse and skills to negotiate safe behavior as survival tactic on the street were also inculcated.
- Intervention among Female Sex Workers
Karunalaya with the support of TANSACS takes continued efforts to ensure that people living with HIV/AIDS have equal access to quality health services. It stands committed to building an enabling environment wherein those infected and affected by HIV/AIDS play a central role in all responses to the epidemic. To create an environment where human rights are respected and where those infected or affected by HIV/AIDS live a life without stigma and discrimination.
Since the year 2008, Karunalaya in collaboration with CAPACS/TANSACS is implementing Targeted Intervention among female sex workers towards the following objectives:
- To educate about STI, HIV and AIDS among female sex workers in Chennai, its nature and extent of the diseases and the ways to prevent from being infected.
- To facilitate female sex workers for transition to safe behaviour.
- To provide services of counselling, STI treatment and drugs and free condom distribution to the female sex workers.
- To create an enabling environment for the FSWs.
- To educate secondary stakeholders about the need to prevent HIV / AIDS among female sex workers.
- To create awareness to the target people about the importance of condoms usage